STARTING THE WEB APP CHALLENGE

From http://nathanbarry.com/starting-web-app-challenge/

My last two projects, both books, have been insanely successful.
我最后的两个项目,都是书籍,已经是疯狂的成功了。

Selling more than $80,000 worth in just over 3 months.
在过去的三个月就销售了八万美元。

The connections I’ve made, marketing lessons learned, and financial freedom I now have make a huge difference.
我创造的连接,学习的市场课程,财务自由,现在我已经做了巨大的不同。

There is only one problem: those were all one time sales.
只有一个问题:这些都是一次性销售。

Note: Do you design software? Take a look at my latest book, Designing Web Applications.
注意:你知道设计软件吗?看看我最新的书吧《设计网络应用》

So I may make $40,000 in a month, like I did in December, but January 1st I start at over zero.
所以我在一个月内销售了四万美元,就像十二月份一样,但是一月一号,我又要从零开始了。

I have to continue to drive traffic, write blog posts,and promote the book month after month for the sales to keep coming in.
我必须持续的引入流量,写博文,推销我的书籍一个月接着一个月,以保持销售额增长。

Some sales will keep coming in from the work I’ve already done, but that will probably be less than $3,000 a month.
有些销售会来自我已经完成的工作,但是那大概会少于3000美元一个月。

The biggest downside is that the customers who love the product the most only pay for it once.
最大的缺点就是喜欢这款产品的客户只会购买一次。

When planning for 2013 I knew that my next project would involve recurring revenue,where the customers pay a monthly fee to use the service.
当我开始计划2013年,我知道下一个项目会涉及到经常性的收益,客户使用服务,一个月付一次。

Software-as-a-service is the best model I’ve seen for doing this, so that’s where The Web App Challenge comes in.
在我看来,做这个,软件即服务是一个很好的模型,所以网络应用挑战进来了。

The Web App Challenge
网络应用挑战

I could just start a new web app and work on it quietly for a year before launching,but where is the fun in that?
我可以开始一个网络应用,而且在发布之前安静的做上一年的工作,但是这有什么乐趣呢?

Writing and launching Designing Web Applications in only three months taught me that if I compress the deadlines, I can meet a goal much more quickly.
在三个月内写作和发布《设计网络应用》,教会我如果我压缩截止日期,我可以更快的看到我的目标。

So here is the challenge:
这里就是挑战

Within six months build a web application to $5,000 in recurring revenue each month.
在六个月内,建立一个网络应用,达到五千美元/月。

A friend just referred to that timeline as “aggressive”
*

so let’s add some more restrictions to make it more difficult:
所以让我们来加上更多的限制让它变的困难:

I am starting without an idea.
我开始了,但是没有点子。

So I don’t know what the application will be, what it will do, or who it is targeted towards.
所以我不知道这个应用是什么,能做什么,什么是它的目标。

I can only spend $5,000 of my own money in this entire process.
整个过程中,我只可以花费自己的五千美元。

Meaning all other funds necessary have to come from paying customers.
代表着其它所有的必须资金一定要来自付费用户。

Since I will be hiring out the development, getting paying customers right away is mandatory.
因为我会把开发外包,所以获取付费用户是强制性的。

I cannot spend more than 20 hours a week on this project.
我不可以花费超过20小时/周在这个项目上。

If allowed, I waste tons of time on projects.
如果允许,我可以浪费大量的时间在这个项目上面。

This limit is partially because there are other things that need my time (contract projects, writing, etc) and to help keep me focused.
这个限制的部分原因是其它的一些事情需要我的时间(承包项目,写作,等),还有就是为了让我更加专注。

The best part of this is that I am going to be completely transparent about every step of the process.
最好的部分就是我会完全公开这个项目的每一个步骤。

Follow along on this blog to hear how things are going, what I’m learning, and the mistakes you shouldn’t repeat.
关注这个博客,去聆听这个项目是怎么做的,我学到了什么,犯了哪些你不应该再犯的错误。

The deadline is July 1st, 2013 to have $5,000 a month worth of paying customers.
截止日期是2013.07.01,获得五千美元/月付费用户。

That could be 50 customers paying $100 a month, 10 customers paying $500 a month,or somewhere in the middle (most likely) Think I can do it? Good. Me too.
这可以是50个用户付费100美元/月,也可以是10个用户付费500美元/月,或者是中间的一部分(很有可能),认为我能做?好,我也是。

A little help.
一些小帮助。

I want to do everything possible to remove risk and make this project successful.
我想移除那些任何有可能的风险,去把这个项目做成功。

So I’ve asked my friend Brennan Dunn to be an official advisor to my web app challenge.
所以我叫了我的朋友Brennan Dunn作为我的网络应用挑战的官方顾问。

It’s not very official really, but he will be there to answer questions, help me choose a developer,
and help me work through marketing strategies.
实际上不是很官方,但是他会回答问题,帮助我选择开发者,帮助我营销策略上面的工作。

Brennan has been a Rails developer for years and runs his own project management web application called Planscope.
Brennan已经作为一个Rails开发者很多年,运营着自己的管理网络应用的项目,叫做Planscope。

Since Brennan did all the design, development, and marketing of Planscope himself,
he has already solved many of the problems I will probably face.
因为Brennan已经做了所有的设计,程序开发,营销,他解决过需要我可能会遇到的问题。

I expect his advice to be very helpful.
我期望他的建议能非常有帮助性。

Frequently Asked Questions
经常要问到的问题

Okay, so no one has actually asked these questions, but you might, so here it goes.
Okay,没有人实际问过这些问题,但是你可能会,下面来了。

Where will you get your idea?
你从哪里获得点子?

From my customers.
从我的客户。

Dane Maxwell taught me about the concept of idea extraction.
Dane Maxwell教了我点子中概念的提取。

Instead of trying to come up with an idea yourself, you talk to a market, let’s say photographers,
and try to find what painful problems they have that could be solved with software.
与其试着从自己的想法里面获取一个点子,不如何了解下市场。以摄影师为例,试着去找到他们痛苦的问题,而可以使用软件解决。

Then when you find a problem you not only have an idea for what to build, but also a first customer.
然后你不但可以从一个问题中找到一个点子,而且找到了第一个客户。

My most successful software projects have been someone else’s idea,
talking to Dane was just the first time someone had explained it so clearly.
我最成功的软件项目是别人的点子,和Dane说,这是第一次有人如此清晰的解释这个点子。

I’ll write more on this topic in future posts.
我会在未来的博文上写这个话题。

Who will your application be for?
你的应用会给谁用?

I don’t know.
我不知道
What I do know is that it will be a targeted niche.
我知道的是它会有一个目标市场。

That may be lawyers, web designers, real estate agents, landscapers, insurance agents, marketers,
construction companies, programmers, or pretty much anyone else.
也许是律师,网络设计师,房产经纪人,园丁,保险经纪人,市场人员,建筑公司,程序员,还有许多许多。

I’m just going to talk to people until I find a painful problem that can be solved with software.
我会告诉人们,直到我找到一个痛处,然后用软件可以解决的。

What language will the application be written in?
软件会用什么语言编写?

It will probably be a Ruby on Rails application.
也许是Ruby on Rails应用。

Rails works well for the style of application
I am going for and there are a lot of developers with experience writing Rails apps.
Rails很适合我即将要做的应用风格,而且有许多的有经验的开发者写Rails应用。

Personally I don’t have a lot of experience, but there are some great books and tutorials I can pick up to learn.
我个人不是有很多的经验,但是有许多的好书和教程我可以学。

Will you be doing the development yourself?
你会自己开发吗?

No. I’m not a very good developer so I will be hiring someone to work with me on this project.
不,我不是一个很好的开发者,所以我会外包给别人做。

I plan to do all the wireframes, visual design, and HTML/CSS while leaving the real code to someone smarter.
我会去做线框,视觉设计,HTMLCSS,把真正的code部分给其它更聪明的人。

Though I do hope that having my own project will help me get a lot better with Ruby and Rails.
尽管我很期望我自己的项目能让我的Ruby and Rails更好。

In addition to the contract developer I will be hiring, I am working with several talented Ruby developers
who will be advisors on the project.
为了和我即将签合同的开发者,我和几个牛X的Ruby开发者工作,他们会是我这个项目的顾问。

Basically just answering a few questions here and there as well as reviewing the code changes every few weeks.
*只简单的在这里回答一些问题,而且会每隔几周就评估次代码。

Are you hiring developers?
你还雇佣开发者吗?

Yes, but my budget is small.
是的,但是我的预算很小。

If you are a Rails developer and are interested in working with me then send me an email (nathan@thinklegend.com).
如果你是一个Rails开发者,并且有兴趣和我一起工作,就发我个邮件(nathan@thinklegend.com)。

I will also be looking for developers on eLance and other related sites.
我也会在elance和其它相关网站上面寻找开发者。

How much will it cost to build?
建立需要花费多少?

I have no idea.
我不知道。

I’ve allocated $5,000 of my own money to get things started, but the goal is to get customers to fund the development.
我会分配五千美元去开始,但目标是获取客户的资金去开发。

How can you build software that quickly?
你怎么可以开发软件这么快?

By focusing on solving a really specific problem the simplest way possible.
关注与解决一个具体的问题是最简单的方法。

I’m not trying to create an all-in-one solution, but rather solve a single,
really painful problem and work from there.
我不会试着去做所有功能集成的解决方案,试着解决一个,真的很痛的问题,从那里开始工作

That means not as many screens to design and not as much code to write.
这意味着没有许多界面要设计,没有许多代码要写。

What if you fail?
如果你失败了呢?

I don’t think it is likely that I will fail completely.
我并不认为我会完全的失败。

A more likely failure is that I reach only a couple thousand in revenue, but that’s still a partial success.
更可能的失败是我只达到几千美元的收入,但那也是部分成功。

If it does completely fail, then it will be public.
如果没有完全失败,然后会完全公开。

At least I, and everyone reading my posts, will have learned something to apply to future projects.
至少,我和所有读这篇文章的,会学到一些如何去执行未来项目的东西。

Why are you starting a day early?
你为什么要提前一天出发?

Because I am really eager to get started!
因为我急于开始!

Also the extra day head start may make all the difference. 😉
*

Is it weird to be asking yourself all these questions?
问自己这些问题很奇怪吗?

Yes, it is. Maybe that means it is time to end this post.
是的,也许是时间去结束这篇文章。

If you have more questions ask them in the comments.
如果你有更多的问题,请评论。

Related posts:

1 thought on “STARTING THE WEB APP CHALLENGE”

  1. A friend just referred to that timeline as “aggressive”
    Also the extra day head start may make all the difference.
    这两句不知道怎么翻译。

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.